Universities, colleges and schools face ever increasing pressure to maintain very high standards while also complying with ever increasing regulatory and compliance requirements.
How we can help
To overcome potential challenges facing your institution, you may need the skills of several legal specialists from across a range of areas – we can help. Through our Education Group, clients can access recognised legal experts who have experience of dealing with the differing cultures and needs of universities, colleges and schools across all aspects of the law. We deliver a comprehensive service which is designed to suit your institution.
Our team can assist with:
- Intellectual property
- Freedom of information
- Charity law
- Protection of vulnerable groups
- Disputes of all types including compensation claims, appeals and judicial review
We’ve worked with clients in all parts of the education sector for many years. We know education institutions of all types have to deal with legal issues which impact on day to day and strategic operations, and that the issues will vary depending on the institution. We also know that no two instructions are the same and that two ostensibly similar institutions often wish to deal with similar issues in very different ways.
The legal issues facing the education sector and with which our Education Group have been able to assist clients include:
- Student and pupil issues such as child protection in the School sector and the rise of student complaints and challenges in the Colleges and Universities in particular where the student has paid tuition fees.
- Discrimination complaints under the Equality Act 2010 in particular in relation to reasonable adjustments for pupils / students and staff under the disability and additional support for learning provisions.
- Estate, procurement and funding issues ranging from Estate Management to new build student accommodation and income generation from fees, SFC and the exploitation of intellectual property and spinout companies.
- Statutory and regulatory compliance in areas such as data protection & freedom of information, health and safety and charity law.
We're here to help
Need advice on education issues? Speak to one of our team today.
"The team's in-depth and sector-specific knowledge is invaluable."