Our specialist planning lawyers can help you to navigate successfully the complex and highly technical world of planning law in Scotland. We have a wealth of knowledge and experience in this ever-changing area of the law. We are perfectly placed to help you steer your project smoothly to achieve your desired outcome.
We advise across all sectors, from complex city centre sites to major housing developments, and all types of energy schemes. We act for clients in both the private and public sectors, giving us real insight on strategy that can be tailored to the unique needs of your project. We quickly identify the determining issues enabling you to manage risk.
We’re at the forefront of responding to the evolution of planning law in Scotland and the climate change agenda. Our experts are industry thought leaders, regularly contributing to leading planning journals.
How we can help you
Our expertise covers all areas of planning law:
- Strategic consenting, including Environmental Impact Assessment and Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Planning appeals, including advocacy at public inquiries and hearings
- Interpretation of planning conditions/policy
- Negotiating and drafting planning obligations on behalf of landowners, developers, and local authorities
- Enforcement issues and certificates of lawful use
- Compulsory purchase and compensation
- Judicial Review/statutory appeals to the Court of Session
- Contaminated land
- Section 36 consents and deemed planning permissions
We act for many household names, such as Crown Estate Scotland, INEOS, Walker Group, Springfield Properties, East Lothian Council, and Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Authority.
All lawyers in our planning team are recommended in the two main guides to the legal profession, Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
Whether you’re just getting started, or your project is already underway, we’d be delighted to collaborate with you and to play a part in your success.
Meet the experts
Awards and accreditations
"With a good commercial awareness and the ability to understand the wider objectives of our business, the firm actively pushes deals forward as opposed to waiting for instructions at every juncture."