Health and Safety
Health and safety is an essential consideration for all businesses, charities and educational institutions. With ever-changing regulations as well as the pandemic bringing more concerns, we’re here to help.
Our expertise and approach
We’ll work with you to ensure you’ve the right health and safety procedures and systems in place for your business. We provide a comprehensive service to a range of private, public and voluntary organisations of every shape and size. We act primarily for commercial clients however we have unrivalled experience in the sector having acted as the only external legal adviser to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) in Scotland. We have been involved in providing legal representation in the vast majority of Fatal Accident Inquiries in Scotland in the last ten years.
While health and safety concerns can affect almost every sector of the economy, we have particular experience of dealing with issues in construction, education, local government, food and drink, care homes and agriculture.
Our specialist team can provide you with tailored legal advice, court representation and help to ensure you are compliant with current health and safety regulations. We’ll also keep you up to date at all times with any changes in the regulations, ensuring you understand associated implications, and that you have effective measures in place for health and safety management.
We can help with:
- Incident investigations, and post-incident management advice
- Criminal prosecutions and Trials
- Investigations under the Corporate Homicide and Manslaughter Act 2007
- Fatal Accident Inquiries, Public Inquiries and Inquests
- Corporate due diligence, internal audits and reviews of health and safety governance
- Compliance with Fee For Intervention, Improvement notices and Prohibition notices
- Appeal of notices and attendance at Employment Tribunal enforcement notice hearings
- Risk management and due diligence – training and awareness of relevant regulations to premises and processes
- Representation of individuals during interviews by police, EHO or HSE inspectors
- Complex claims litigation and dispute resolution – handling and defending all types of claims against organisations relating to employers’ and occupiers’ liability, both pre and post litigation
If and when health and safety legal matters proceed to a full hearing, we have a team of experienced court practitioners who regularly appear for clients in appeals and prosecutions including jury trials. We represent clients at Fatal Accident Inquiries and can advise on and represent clients in health, safety and environmental prosecutions. We also act for a number of private and public bodies in health and safety prosecutions and Crown Censure proceedings.
We can also provide bespoke training for you and your business including health and safety advice and training.
"Anderson Strathern is among the best firms of commercial litigation solicitors in the country. They have long and deep experience of working with counsel on large commercial disputes before the Court of Session, especially its commercial court, and on appeal all the way to the Supreme Court. Their team, from new qualifieds to experienced partners, are all knowledgeable, motivated and cohesive. They are quick and efficient in following up on all enquiries, preparations and tactics advised by counsel."